Sunday, July 18, 2010

Surprises

I realized within the last couple of months that I really do like surprises. In fact, I love them. I was fortunate enough to be the receiver of many surprises…and because of that, I learned this about myself.

For my whole life, I considered myself as someone who did not like surprises. I liked to know what was happening when it was going to happen. I wanted the things I wanted. But I have recently learned that I really do like surprises, I just never had had anyone who knew me well enough to do the right things to as surprises. I hope that doesn’t sound selfish. I don’t mean it to.

I just think that people who plan surprises assume they are doing something that is desirable to the person they are doing it for. For that to be the case, I think you really have to know someone...and that does not necessarily mean for a length of time, but that you pay attention to the small stuff and that you look, listen and read in between the lines. I think the surprises I have had for much of my life were superficial surprises…and maybe what I prefer is those like I described…the ones where someone really had to take notice.

When a surprise is delivered and I know that not only was thought put into the surprise but also a message is attached to the surprise, I know that I was deeply considered. And being deeply considered is a surprise in and of itself. So, I have been doubly blessed and cared for every time I was surprised.

No comments:

Post a Comment