Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Perfectly Imperfect

Nobody's perfect. That is true. We do all have faults and we do all have flaws. I remember in school that I even had teachers that would not allow a grade of 100% even if you got every question correct because "nobody was perfect".

But, perfection isn't just a matter of complete flawlessness. Perfection is sometimes in the eye of the beholder; perfection is not the person or object.

You see, perfection can be an opinion and not just a fact.

There are things I see in myself, the way I look, that I used to consider flaws. But I have gotten a bit wiser now and have reconsidered. For example, I have freckles....which i don't mind at all. In fact, I like them. Except this one freckle. It is darker than the others and located right above my upper lip, right in the middle. I used to be (and maybe still am) so self-conscious of it, that I would cover my mouth a lot, especially when I would smile. I used to think, "if only I could have that one freckle lasered away."

But, now, I have come to realize, that without that one freckle....and without all the other "little things" that I thought I would change if I could...all of those changes would add up. And that would change something very important. It would be changing the big picture. And you know what...the big picture...it is pretty darn good.

And, as with any piece of fine art...after standing back and looking at the big picture and gaining an appreciation for it...you start to look at the finer details. And those details are often what, in someone's opinion (even if it is only ONE person's opinion), make the picture perfect.

So, my freckle. The one above my upper lip. I like it there now. Because I know that to someone, that may be the one thing that makes me perfectly imperfect in their eyes.

No comments:

Post a Comment