Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Pushing and Pulling

There are no neutral interactions....

Professor Herb reminded us in every class that every encounter we have with parents as teachers either pushed them away or pulls them closer.

This, I believe, is true not just for us as educators, but for all of us.

Some people are natural pullers...they have what it takes to bring people closer to them...maybe it is charisma, charm, personality, sensitivity, genuineness...I don't know. For others, it takes a little more effort, but pulling is something that is doable.

We pull people towards us to show that we care. We pull people towards us to create friendships and relationships. We pull people close to us for companionship for fellowship. And we even pull people towards us for basic needs. Touch is a basic need...human beings needs to be touched...our nervous systems count on it. We need touches, hugs, and hands that are held.

But other people, push...all the time...they push people away. And that is what I just don't get. I imagine it is because they think that by creating extreme boundaries, they are protecting themselves. In fact, I can even understand the desire to do that. But in pushing others away to protect themselves, they cause the hurt to others that they seek to protect themselves from. And I wonder if that occurs to them and if they realized that, would they still do it.

So, if there are no neutral interactions, then as we relate with one another, we are constantly engaging in pushing and pulling. We do not consistently do one only...we may alternate between them depending upon our mood and our motive.

I know that after taking this class, I will attend more upon how I interact with people. I know that I tend to be a puller. And truthfully, some may say I even drag ...but I can't help it...I like people. I like being surrounded by people. I like making friends. I am a genuine person. I care. And I have always thought that the more the merrier. People are great. There is a lot to be learned by people...listening to them and watching them.

Who wouldn't want to pull people close. Even if you did get hurt once in awhile...or even a lot. The ones who do right by you make the risk worth it....and well, the rest...maybe we learn from them to and maybe they are a catalyst for change. So maybe even in that, there is something good too be gained by taking the risk of pulling people closer.

No comments:

Post a Comment