Sunday, January 23, 2011

An Aspergian's Perspective...More on this to come

I have been reading Look Me in the Eye My Life with Asperger's  by John Elder Robison.  It is a great book and I highly recommend it as a great read to anyone who is interested in learning not just about Asperger's syndrome but also about special effects used in the guitars used by the rock band Kiss and the audio equipment that Pink Floyd used as John Elder Robison was the man behind it all.

This is the passage in the book that I just HAD to get out a.s.a.p....

"Many descriptions of autism and Asperger's describe people like me as 'not wanting contact with others' or 'preferring to play alone.'  I can't speak for other kids, but I'd like to be very clear about my own feelings: I did not ever want to be alone. And all those child psychologists who said 'John prefers to play by himself' were dead wrong.  I played by myself because I was a failure at playing with others.  I was alone as a result of my own limitations, and being alone was one of the bitterest disappointments of my young life.  The sting of those failures followed me long into adulthood, even after I learned about Asperger's."

That is a power packed passage...think about it....I will...and then I will write more.

No comments:

Post a Comment