Wednesday, January 12, 2011

The Seed I Will Care For

An excerpt from the book Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson

"I think about lying down.  No, that would not do.  I crouch by the trunk, my fingers stroking the bark, seeking a Braille code, a clue, a message on how to come back to life after my long undersnow dormancy.  I have survived.  I am here.  Confused, screwed up, but here.  So, how can I find my way?  Is there a chain saw of the soul, an ax I can take to my memories or fears?  I dig my fingers into the dirt and squeeze.  A small, clean part of me waits to warm and burst through the surface.  Some quiet Melindagirl I haven't seen in months.  That is the seed I will care for."

Speak is about a 14 year old girl (Melinda) who was raped the summer before entering high school.  She told no one.  In this passage, nearly 9 months have passed since the rape and she returned to the scene of the rape...the tree under which it occurred.

This passage strikes me because i think that many of us can relate.  I wish often that there were an ax to take away my memories or fears. and I too often relate to "Melindagirl" but I am  a "Rosiegirl" who has lain dormant for a long time...I am someone who needs take the messages from past memories and leave the remainder of those memories in the past...just live in the moments of today.  I need to let the warmth of today allow me to burst through the surface. A Rosiegirl--- THAT is the seed I will care for.


No comments:

Post a Comment